Letting Residential Property

If you are a private landlord letting a residential property in Scotland, then you must, by law, register with the local authorities in whose area you let property. 

In Scotland, the owners of residential accommodation let to three or more unrelated people or families must be licensed, with the local authority, to let Houses in Multiple Occupation.

If you let residential accommodation to people from Poland, you may find the following services useful.

Housing Benefit helps people on low incomes to pay their rent.  The government sets the legislation for this and local authorities deliver the service on their behalf.  North Lanarkshire Council offers landlords information on Housing Benefit claims, on rent levels and on payments.

Information for your tenants

  • Download our leaflet on the Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation.
  • You may like to offer tenants a copy of Living in Lanarkshire, our guide for new residents.  You can download a copy or call us to request one.
  • Call us to request a copy of our DVD giving information about Landlord Registration and Houses in Multiple Occupation.
  • All tenants should understand the legislation on Anti-Social Behaviour.  Please download an information pack and offer it to your tenants.
  • Housing Benefit.
Visit North Lanarkshire Council website


Housing Regulation
North Lanarkshire Council
Dalziel Building
7 Scott Street
Phone: 01698 403150